The Kee plugin for Firefox and Chrome stopped working on my computer today. The plugins are loaded, but the V icon has the red “OFF” label, and the plugins say “Open Kee Vault or KeePass to enable Kee.” KeePass is indeed running, and the database is open and unlocked. The correct KeePass folder is set as the Kee home group.
I am running KeePass v2.55, KeePassRPC v1.15.1, and Kee v3.11.13 on Firefox 120.0.1 (64-bit Windows).
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Kee plugin, uninstalling and reinstalling KeePassRPC, restarting the browser and KeePass in both orders, deauthorizing all clients in the KeePassRPC settings, and clearing the plugin cache. Nothing works. The authorization dialog (the alphanumeric code that you have to type into KeePass) never pops up.
Have you gone through all the troubleshooting steps, disabling other addons, security software, etc.?
I have the same issue and have gone through the troubleshooting steps as far as I understand them. I have disabled AdBlock Plus and uBlock Origin. I have the following configuration:
Kee Extension 3.11.13
Firefox 121.0.1 (64-bit)
Windows 10 version 21H2
I have cleared the Firefox cache but not cookies. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Keepass, Kee extension, and KeepassRPC. I have searched the forum for previous Windows solutions and none of them has worked. I have unset and reset the Kee Home Group to the highest folder in Keepass. I have restarted the computer and Firefox. And the computer is plugged in
What else is there to try?
I changed back to KeepassRPC 1.15.1 and it still doesn’t work.
I also installed a virtual Windows 10 Pro with Firefox and Keepass 2.55 and KeepassRPC 1.16 with no other plugins or extensions. It does not work on the unadulterated virtual machine, either.
Is that a standard Win 10 Pro image for the virtual machine? Any chance it comes with any extra security software, firewalls, anti-virus, etc.? Was the user account you signed in to Windows with definitely new or could Windows have transferred some sort of user preferences/settings to your virtual machine when you signed in? (e.g. from a corporate account or Hotmail/Office/Microsoft online account)
Have you definitely waited for a couple of minutes to make sure it’s not just that the connection takes a long time to be established? (I think Windows has been experimenting with changes which can prevent fast connection establishment but it should always succeed within 2 minutes).
I’ve had the virtual machine running for days and the red OFF flag still shows. I do not have a Microsoft user account, so no sign in. Now that you mention it, I recently downloaded an enterprise version of MS Office 2021. When I say, recently, I’m talking about the same time frame as this OFF flag appearing. Could Office be interfering with Keepass? I’d hate to stop using Office just so I could use Keepass, but Keepass is more important.
Is this enterprise version of MS Office also installed in the virtual machine that can’t connect to KeePassRPC?
No the VM doesn’t have Office 2021 installed. It does have a trial version of Office 365 that comes with Windows. I tried to keep it fairly pristine. At first it was bare bones with only Firefox and Keepass/KeepassRPC. It did not work with that. I have since loaded some commonly used utilities from Ninite.com like Notepad++, VLC, 7Zip, IrfanView 64, Gimp, Audacity, WinDirStat, Greenshot, and Google Earth. I’m hoping to use the VM for some of the more intense software, but the peripherals are also necessary for what I do. The main computer also has LibreOffice, but that is not on the VM.
I finally resolved the issue by Refreshing Firefox in the 3-bar menu>Help>More troubleshooting and clicking the Refresh button. It resets all the Firefox settings and scrubs all the extensions, themes, and customization. That cleared up some other issues I was having, too.
Thank you so much for your attention on this.
Glad it’s resolved. So I guess the reason we saw the problem in the “clean” VM too was that you were signed in to Firefox using the same profile.
Maybe there was a configuration problem preventing WebSockets and/or localhost connections from working correctly. In any case, thanks for confirming it is now solved.