Key transformation deautomises autofilling

Hi.

I played a bit around using Keepass database key transformation to use argon2d. Since then Kee does not fill in entries, so I decided to step back to AES-KDF, but the result is the same since argon2d. It doesn’t work on PC and mobile.
So I decided to post this problem here which needed a new registration. So I saved the registration for this forum in Keepass and spontaneously the autofill entries work for this site, but not for old Keepass entries.
This confuses me.

Is it a problem by Keepass or Kee (on PC and Android)?

I found out, what was wrong in this case. By playing around I clicked on “set as kee home group” in keepass on a group that does not contain the passwords I need for automation. I didn’t know what that function does and there was no reaction by keepass, so I didn’t know what changed. Today I tried to fix the error and found out, that other groups worked, but not that group, that I needed for automation. So I looked into group specs and saw kee settings. Inside these settings was the explanation for home group which gave me the logic to use the parent folder as home group and the “bug” was fixed. This tells me it had nothing to do with AES-KDF or Argon2d.

So imho the context menu entry for groups “Set as Kee home group” is not well chosen, because when done a faulty click on that function it is not obvious, that the function is activated. It can only be seen when in group settings by a greyed out button.
As read before this can cause really strange behaviour if not known about.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn’t even replicate the Home Group feature when I wrote Kee Vault 5 years ago because problems like this kept coming up - I’m not convinced it is a feature we should retain for much longer.

Recently KeePass added some new features relating to context menus so I will have a look into whether there is now some way that the item can be displayed with a checkbox, be greyed out and/or have some different text depending upon the current status of the group. Certainly wasn’t possible before when I tried but I’ve not looked into the idea recently so will do soon.

Thank you for looking into to prevent problems!

Please try version 1.16.0 from Release 1.16 · kee-org/keepassrpc · GitHub.

Unfortunately it isn’t possible to customise the context menu KeePass displays depending upon the current Kee Home status so I have decided to remove the context menu item entirely.

For the extremely rare situation where it does need to be changed (or viewed) it can still be done via the Group Edit dialog but for the 99.9999% of time that feature is not needed, this change should significantly reduce the possibility of a mistake and declutter the KeePass interface a little bit as a bonus.

Thank you very much! The new version works fine.
This really has potential to prevent strange behaviour!
:slight_smile:

P.S.: Feel free to edit the title to e.g. “autofilling no longer works” or " strange behaviour using autofill".