Kee breaks with dom.storage.next_gen=true

Having dom.storage.next_gen=true appears to break the Kee add-on. With it enabled, this shows in the debug panel for Kee:

Content Security Policy: Couldn’t parse invalid host 'wasm-eval'
UnknownError: The operation failed for reasons unrelated to the database itself and not covered by any other error code. ExtensionStorageIDB.jsm:831
    normalizeStorageError resource://gre/modules/ExtensionStorageIDB.jsm:831
    method chrome://extensions/content/child/ext-storage.js:273
    AsyncFunctionThrow self-hosted:678
Failed to persist storage for principal: moz-extension://a89a86d1-eb13-4bb1-a064-6a5651978d2d ExtensionStorageIDB.jsm:758
    callback resource://gre/modules/ExtensionStorageIDB.jsm:758`Preformatted text`

The add-on shows the red “OFF” splat and is greyed out. Setting dom.storage.next_gen=false fixes it.

This started with FF83, but I’m not sure if that’s coincidence.

The only time I’ve heard of “dom.storage.next_gen=true” over the years is alongside reports of Firefox bugs. I don’t know what it’s for nor why one would choose or need to set it. What’s certain is that this can’t be a problem unique to Kee.

I’m happy to help the Firefox team diagnose and test the bug when they get to the stage that this would be useful but ultimately the way you’ll get this solved is to report the bug to Firefox so that whenever “next_gen” becomes “current gen” there won’t be a mass destruction of extensions.

Until they fix the bug you report, I suggest keeping the setting set to false.