Feature Request: Option to disable Kee in private browsing mode

Hi,

sometimes I start private browsing mode in Firefox to be “anonym” and to avoid tracking. I have normally “autofill” enabled in Kee.
When I visit website xy in private browsing mode, I am not logged in anymore - works as expected.
However when Kee autofill my credentials on that site, a sophisticated tracking could “see” my username entered in the login form, even when the form is not submitted.

An option to disable Kee in private browsing mode would fix that. What do you think?

Best regards
Casper

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don’t think I’d want it to be entirely disabled in private browsing mode - if anything that risks encouraging worse password practices on the sorts of websites you feel are more sensitive than others.

I wonder if simply having an option (maybe enabled by default) to prevent auto-fill when in private browsing mode would be a good idea though.

Would that meet your needs @casperklein?

Anyone else have thoughts on the topic?

PS: I’m assuming it’s technically possible to do this in Firefox and Chrome but it’s not something I’ve looked into before so I could be overly optimistic.

1 Like

Yes, thats exactly what I proposed. Sorry for not being clear enough. I should have written “An option to disable Kee autofill feature in private browsing mode”.

1 Like

I think having that option would be nice.
Though I think it should be continuing to fill in private browsing mode by default (to not change current behavior, that’s ok for most users). But there could be message like with new installs that explains that the autofill can be disabled for private browsing. Again it could appear just a few times, like the message that explains how to save a password only appears a couple times after installing the addon.

1 Like

I agree, this would be a nice option. I probably wouldn’t enable it by default, but as long as I can turn it off it wouldn’t really matter to me.

1 Like

I think this is a good idea, and am always for things that increase privacy, but I wanted to clarify, in case you didn’t know, that it may not make a difference, and you can’t rely on small things like this to keep you anonymous. There are so many ways sites track you, using private browsing mode is very unlikely to actually make you anonymous on most sites. That’s not even what it’s for; it’s actual purpose is to keep your browsing private on your computer, NOT outside of it. Your ISP can still see everything you do, sites can still tell who you are via cookies, trackers, monitoring how you type and how you move your mouse, your IP, your browser’s and computer’s fingerprint, and so on. The only ways to actually ensure that you’re anonymous are to use Tor (best, but not perfect or foolproof) or a VPN (good, but many are flawed, free ones often monitor your traffic to monetize it/you, and there’s still fingerprinting, cookies, trackers, etc). I don’t know how anonymous/private you want to be, and stuff like this certainly doesn’t hurt, but you also shouldn’t have a false sense of security about it and should be aware of the reality of the situation so you’re not thinking you’re anonymous when in actuality you’re far from it.

1 Like