Confused about v3.5 workflow

Hi,

the new Firefox plugin dialog v3.5 just doesn’t work for me. It performs its task if an entry is already in the database (auto fill-in), but that’s about it.

In the past, when I had to change the password of a site, I just proceeded to log in with the new password. Afterwards I called up the plugin, which asked whether I wanted to update the existing entry or create a new one. I chose “update” and that was that.

Where is this update-prompt now? I can’t create a new entry with the new password ("+" button), because the plugin refuses to replace the old entry. This dialog is non-responsive, I can’t do anything in there except for closing and starting over.

Of course I can manually edit the entry in KeePass, but how can I do the update without entering the new password again?

Next, how do I delete an entry? For example, I went through the tutorial at https://tutorial-addon.kee.pm. Now, how do I remove the entry from my database again (using the plugin, not working manually with the database in KeePass?)

I assume these functions are burried somewhere in the new interface. Could somebody please show me where?

Regards

1 Like

You can edit the recently submitted password of an existing entry by clicking on the edit button on that entry in the Kee interface. Obviously a few websites prevent password managers from working correctly in this regard but that’s rare and has not changed with Kee 3.5.

I’m not sure what this means. Perhaps there is a bug on your system? Can you explain more details how to reproduce the non-responsive behaviour?

Next, how do I delete an entry?

Kee has never offered the ability to delete an entry and we have no plans to do so. It’s an operation with far too many implications, complications and risks for a user, for something that is done extremely infrequently so this must be done from within Kee Vault or KeePass.

In the past, when I had to change the password of a site, I just proceeded to log in with the new password. Afterwards I called up the plugin, which asked whether I wanted to update the existing entry or create a new one. I chose “update” and that was that.

Where is this update-prompt now? I can’t create a new entry with the new password (“+” button), because the plugin refuses to replace the old entry. This dialog is non-responsive, I can’t do anything in there except for closing and starting over.

I wholeheartedly agree!

I really like the Firefox add-on and I really appreciate all the work put into it to make it work. However, the new interface greatly reduces its usability. I find myself having to just open KeePass manually and hand editing entries in the application because the new add-on interface just doesn’t having a working workflow.

I appreciate the attempt to try to streamline the interface but it really hampered itself in enabling a workflow. There’s no way to generate a password anymore without actually starting to create an entry. The add-on should enhance or support creating/maintaining credentials, not gatekeep it.

Instead of requiring a user to go through the add-on before being able to create an account on a website, it should instead offer to save the credentials used after registration/login has occurred. This used to be the behavior and I don’t know why it was changed. This change also effectively removed my favorite feature the add-on used to have (as @150d stated) , in that it would offer to update an entry when it noticed something had changed (username, password, URL, fields, etc). Now if something doesn’t work I have to manually hunt down what’s wrong with an entry manually (checking URLs, fields, etc). So the add-on update has pretty much reduced itself to simply filling in credentials, and if it doesn’t work then the user has to figure out why themselves.

Again, I really like this add-on and appreciate the work put into it. I don’t mean to come off as negative or criticizing. I’m just trying to make a case and offer some constructive criticism as to why the changes made have greatly reduced the add-on’s usability.

Apart from the two ways of using the keyboard shortcut or right-click context menu?

To my knowledge, this still happens. Perhaps an individual website or two will behave differently - maybe they have changed their website code since you last tried to update the password? Do you know that you just have to search for the entry you want to edit using the newly submitted data before selecting that you want to perform the update? Perhaps us switching the order of those two parts of the workflow is what has caused a large part of the confusion?

Understood and thank you for the feedback. I suspect that the addition of a new password generator within the main popup (via the options menu button) will help further with your preferred workflow but I’m not sure when we can commit to developing that feature just yet.

1 Like